Country: Hong Kong
Genre: Girls With Guns/ Action/ Comedy/ Bullet Ballet
Director: Wellson Chin
TRASH CINEMA RECOMMENDED MOVIE
In some respects, The Inspector Wears Skirts is a pretty archetypal Hong Kong flick. Girls with guns action, lots of cute Asian women, broad comedy, and brutal kung fu sequences all exist side by side.
The Inspector Wears Skirts is bookended with two extended action sequences, nicely choreographed by Jackie Chan’s Stuntmen Association. Lots of high quality kung fu, gun fu, brutal falls and amazing leaps make these sequences very entertaining. There is also a brief kung fu match between the male and female commando teams. That’s about it for action.
The rest of The Inspector Wears Skirts concentrates either on training sequences for the female commandos or comedic sequences involving the Flying Tigers trying to seduce the female commandos. This aspect of the film is silly and broad, but it has lots of energy and has the virtue of actually being funny in spots. There’s even a completely absurd full blown musical number on roller skates.
The Inspector Wears Skirts boasts tons of cute actresses who can fight and/or take their lumps without complaint: Sibelle Hu, Cynthia Rothrock, Sandra Ng, Ann Bridgewater, Kara Hui, Regina Kent, and Ellen Chan all give and take abuse. Stanley Fung, Billy Lau, and Shing Fu-On provide the male comic relief.
If you have a tolerance for broad Cantonese comedy, you’ll enjoy The Inspector Wears Skirts all the way through. The rest of you action junkies will just have to use the fast forward button, stopping only at the action sequences.
If you found this post helpful, share it by clicking on one of these icons!
- The Inspector Wears Skirts 2 - Police Academy, Hong Kong Style
- Fire Phoenix - All Wet
- They Came To Rob Hong Kong - Starting Out With A Bang, Whimpering the Rest Of The Way
- Operation Pink Squad - Male Terror
- Naughty Boys - HK Action Comedy Archetype
- My Lucky Stars - Killer Action, Comedy From Hell
- Stagedoor Johnny – Saying Goodbye To A Doomed Art Form
- Devil Hunters - Not An Exaggeration
- Out Bound Killing - Killing The Hong Kong Film Industry
- Finger On Trigger - A Lack Of Strategy